Chrissy Teigen’s favourite Carrot Cake Recipe
This carrot cake recipe, according to foodie and model Chrissy Teigen is her favourite and one of the best she’s ever had. You can make it, too!
A model who’s a foodie? Who would have thought? Chrissy Teigen began sharing her love of food while she was working on her cookbook “Cravings” which detailed some of her favourite indulgent food recipes. We wonder how she still looks so good after chowing down on some of her fried chicken and other gooey indulgences. But hey, we’re not judging.
One thing that caught our eyes is when Chrissy raved about this best carrot cake recipe she made from Southern Living.
Even though she admits she’s not much of a baker and doesn’t really have a sweet tooth, this carrot cake knocked her socks off.
“This 3-layer cake is so, so good,” Teigen gushed on Instagram. “It’s crazy sticky moisty, full of flavor. It’s absurd. You need to make it…Make sure it has the glaze frosting.”
This carrot cake recipe stands out from others because in addition to the obvious shredded carrots, the cake batter is hit with crushed pineapple and shredded coconut. Once baked, each layer topped with a caramelized buttermilk glaze and frosted with the classic cream cheese icing.
It’s beyond decadence.
Southern Living‘s Best Carrot Cake Recipe
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
3 large eggs
2 cups sugar
¾ cup vegetable oil
¾ cup buttermilk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups grated carrot
1 (8-oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained
1 (3 ½-oz.) can flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1 cup sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
½ cup buttermilk
½ cup butter or margarine
1 tbsp. light corn syrup
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting:
¾ cup butter or margarine, softened
1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
1 (3-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
3 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line 3 (9-inch) round cakepans with wax paper; lightly grease and flour wax paper. Set pans aside.
- Stir together first 4 ingredients.
- Beat eggs and next 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add flour mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Fold in carrot and next 3 ingredients. Pour batter into prepared cake pans and bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Make the glaze: Bring all ingredients to a boil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Boil, stirring often, 4 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla.
- Make the frosting: Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add powdered sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Remove cakes from the oven and drizzle buttermilk glaze evenly over layers; cool in pans on wire racks 15 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks. Spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.