Sweet Cream Cheese Wontons
When my sweet tooth takes hold, I want my dessert to be decadent and satisfyingly sweet. I don’t necessarily want a large quantity or a huge piece of something, I want something with BIG flavour. When you bite into something that is sweet, crunchy and creamy, take my word, it will fulfill all of your cravings! That’s why these sugar and cinnamon dusted Sweet Cream Cheese Wontons will send you into an absolute sweet euphoric state.
And guess what? They are super easy to make. I consider them one of my instant “Shortcut Goodie” classics because you mostly buy all of the ingredients at your local grocery store and basically just fry away.
These golden nuggets are made with pre-made wonton wrappers that fry up in about a minute. With the filling, I’d like to say the possibilities are endless, but the textures may not always be friendly to frying and may burst out. This one, however, is perfect. Also, Nutella works!
To make sure the cream cheese mixture doesn’t seep out of your little Wonton bundles of sweet joy, make sure you press and seal them with an egg wash. Giving the edges that last little pinch at the end, literally seals the deal.
The key is to also not to overstuff your wontons. I like to fold my filling diagonally to create a triangle and then cross over the two outermost corners, but it if you have a different method, get creative.
After all of the wontons have been filled they get fried in oil at about 350˚ temp for about 30 seconds on each side.
Once you carefully take them out of the oil, place the sweet cream cheese wontons on a wire rack to cool for a few minutes. Then, place them in a bag with about 1/3 of your sugar mixture and a tsp of cinnamon. Then, shake, shake, shake!
Eat them alone, or dip the sweet cream cheese wontons in your favourite dipping sauce. Chocolate is good, but I gotta tell you, caramel sauce is this sweet wonton’s best friend.
Sweet Cream Cheese Wontons
- 1 package of Wonton wrappers
- 1 package of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup of sugar (divided)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Egg (for egg wash)
- Cinnamon for mixing and dusting with sugar
- In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese, vanilla extract, and about 1/4 cup sugar until smooth and well-combined. In a paper bag or bowl, mix remaining cream cheese with cinnamon.
- Place wonton wrappers on a work surface and cover with a moist paper or a towel. Lay out a wonton wrapper and place 1 teaspoon of cream cheese mixture in center. Moisten the edges with your finger and close wrapper on a diagonal and press to close dough around filling.
- Next, grab two side edges and place them together and pinch to seal them.
- Once your wontons have been sealed, fry a few at a time for about 30 seconds on each side until golden brown.
- Place fried wontons on a wire wrack or plate. While still warm place wontons in cinnamon sugar mix until coated.
- Dip in store bought dipping sauce such as caramel or chocolate.
xo Sweet Goodie!