Best Soft Sugar Cookie Recipe
These Soft Sugar Cookies are sure to become a staple in your household. I liken them to a great chocolate chip cookie dough but without the use of brown sugar. They’re soft, chewy and have are a little crisp around the edge. They have an added crunch if you choose to roll them in sugar (a classic step with these cookies).
You can also dress them up or leave them plain and you’ll get the same delicious result. No matter what the occasion these soft sugar cookies are always devoured at events or parties.
But one of the things I love about soft sugar cookies is that you can make them your own and add sweet goodies to the mix to make them unique. They can pretty much take on a whack of flavours depending on what, or who, you are making them for.
(Be sure to check out the Peanut & Toffee Chewy Delight Cookies and the Chocolate Chip & Macadamia Nut Cookies versions)
Soft Sugar Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or baking mat.
- Cream together butter and granulated sugar for a few minutes until fluffy. Add eggs and mix until well-combined.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, and vanilla.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball. Gently flatten them into sugar of your choice.
- Place cookies onto baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake 12 minutes or until lightly browned on edges
- Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes.
Decorate as desired with icing or coloured sugar crystals.